[3830] ARRLDX SSB EI2CN M/S HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB EI2CN M/S HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:29:02 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: EI2CN
Operator(s): F8FUA EI2CN
Station: EI2CN

Class: M/S HP
QTH: Northern Europe
Operating Time (hrs): 40

  160:   16    12
   80:  181    33
   40:  154    34
   20:  722    59
   15:  790    58
   10:  947    50
-------------------
Total: 2810   246  Total Score = 2,070,090

Club: Grande County Louth DX Alliance

Comments:

Well that was fun; at least at the end.    The operation was pretty successful
the Saturday but on Sunday the Q rate was so low that I suggested to F8FUA
around 14:00 that we might have wine with dinner and just take it easy.   Alain
did not agree so we kept going.   My friend, F8FUA told me afterwards that he
was half inclined to agree.   That night from 21:00 to 22:00 177 Qs were made
followed by 146 and 120 Qs in the final two hours.    We also picked up a
number of multipliers in these last three hours operating first on fifteen and
finally twenty.    Ten meters proved productive up till about 21:00.   The
bands were open late having been "stinko" or just okay up till around
night fall.  This made the difference and so we beat last years score of around
2,002,000 by a comfortable margin.   States and Provinces were up from 211 to
246 but contact total down from 3172 to 2810 resulting in a claimed score
increase of 68k.

A contest is not over till it is over.   The propagation predicted good
conditions on twenty for night time but poor in the day light - the predictions
were correct.  It was amazing to hear the pipeline we enjoyed to VE7/W7 and W6
during the evening right up till 24:00 on Sunday night. I would never have
believed it especially considering the conditions on Sunday afternoon.

The two of us have increased our claimed score each year from 1,981,000 to
2,002,000 to 2,070,000 over the past three years.   Each contest has been a
completely different experience.   HF band are not quite as good but low bands
are improving for us at this QTH some of this is due to propagation and some to
station changes.

We choose not to operate from around 08:30 to 11:00 because the propagation is
poor during these hours to the W/VE from EI.   Instead this is time in which we
catch some extra sleep to be ready for the long haul during the day.   It is
certainly much more agreeable and indeed pleasant to be sharing the contesting
with a good friend.   We both get more time to sleep and to eat.   So thank you
to my good friend Alain, F8FUA for this two man effort.

Thanks also to those who were patient of a few occasions when I typed
information into the log in the wrong location and needed to do a quick edit.
It seemed to me that in general the operation was civilized.   Well as
gentlemanly as it could be on over crowded bands.    You guys did a great job.

I will be awed again this year to see what some of my fellows in EI and
northern Europe have done single op or as MS stations but with scores in the
clouds.   My hat is off to you.
                    73 Doug EI2CN