[3830] ARRLDX SSB K9CT M/2 HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, craig@k9ct.us
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX SSB K9CT M/2 HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 2015 20:26:55 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, SSB

Call: K9CT
Operator(s): K9CT K9ZO K9QQ K3WA N0AX KB9OWD KB9UWU
Station: K9CT

Class: M/2 HP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:   36    28
   80:  154    70
   40:  487    90
   20: 1097   120
   15: 1657   125
   10: 1417   120
-------------------
Total: 4848   553  Total Score = 7,843,752

Club: Society of Midwest Contesters

Comments:

Thanks to the great team effort we pushed to beat the W9 record set in 1992. We
were not sure it was possible until after the Saturday runs to EU. Sunday with
6 hours to go we passed the record of 6.9 million and then knew we needed to
pad the score for the inevitable score reductions.

Propagation was always the wild card as we could sense the absorption on the
signal to EU and JA many times were not good. Two flares made things very
interesting...Sunday in particular we were on pins and needles as the 10m path
was quite late opening and started skewed to the south. It finally opened to
the short path around 1500Z and things got better.

Low bands as others have noted were not very good. With M/2 and the limited
band changes, it takes some timing to catch the mults and qsos without hurting
the other bands.

We passed many mults and also qsos from one band to the other and had a great
deal of success. Thanks to the many stations that took the chance and time to
see if we could make it on the other band. The team work was very good as the
operators jumped into the chairs and kept getting one mult after another. We
use an headset system that lets each operator hear their partner's audio and
that allows them to synch to each other very well. Our rate is much higher
using this system.

The weather had warmed up and that called for at least one day of grilling out!
The food was terrific and the conversations interesting. It is always fun to get
this team together.

We posted our score live on cqcontest.net. This really adds to the intensity of
the team as we watch others score. I wish more would take the leap to on line
scoring. Horse racing another team actually helps you score more.

Station info and pictures at k9ct.us.

73, Craig K9CT