[3830] ARRL FD K1LT 1A LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, vkean@k1lt.com, mrrc@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD K1LT 1A LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 13:48:16 +0000

  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

Jeff, K8ND; Bill, WD8AMX; and I operated from a tent set up on my 160
meter radial field in my back yard, about 800 feet from the house.  We
used a "portable" full sized 40 meter vertical with 32 radials and
an
open wire fed 80 meter dipole strung between the 160 vertical (not
used for Field Day) and one of the trees surrounding the radial field.
The radial field is a 250 foot diameter field in the forest that has
grown up in my back yard over the 11 years I've had this land.

The 40 vertical always works very well, and the dipole performance
varies depending upon the height we can arrange.  This year we
sacrificed height for azimuth and ease of wrist-rocketing a line over
a tree.  The center of the dipole was probably only 30 feet above
ground level.  But the dipole was broadside to NE and SW for coverage
of the US coasts from Ohio.

20 and 15 were very poor Saturday so we spent nearly all of our time
on 40 and then 80.  Sunday 20 and 15 worked nicely and even 10
supported a few QSOs.  I had intended to bring out the second K3 and
the 3 element 6 meter beam for some "free" QSOs, but the persistent
rain dampened those plans.

Saturday night was a bit chilly but Bill and I were reasonably comfy
resting or operating in sleeping bags while Jeff was unfazed by
temperatures in the 50s.  We recalled nights at Blue Rock State Park
decades ago when the temperature got into the 30s.

Jeff got stuck trying to drive the "road" to the site Saturday but
we
were able to tow him out Sunday with the tractor.  I dropped one of my
pairs of glasses on the "road" in the middle of the night and didn't
find them again until Sunday after they had been mashed flat.

Despite those two disasters and a lot of muddy towels, we were able to
beat last year's score by about 100 QSOs.  The plan to earn bonus
points by transmitting a message to the Section Manager was thwarted
by rain, a handy-talkie with dead batteries, and laziness.  We copied
the W1AW message Friday night.

Equipment: Elecraft K3 and P3, Astron RS30M, Johnson KW Matchbox, HP
Pavilion ZE4300 laptop, IBM Model M keyboard, Ramsey FM25 stereo
headphone transmitter, (2) Radio Shack FM stereo headphones (too lazy
to look up the part number), Bencher paddle (for Jeff to use), 40
meter vertical, 80 meter dipole, 3 meter dipole, Honda E1000i inverter
generator, 12x12 tent, 8 foot table, 3 assorted chairs, Coleman
lantern (for heat, light incidental).