[3830] ARRL FD NF1R 1B QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, clayton.nall@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL FD NF1R 1B QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 2015 14:22:29 +0000

  903:
  1.2:
  2.3:
  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------------
Total:   55     52      0  Total Score = 1,060

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

Score includes bonuses:
100% Emergency power    100
Set-up in Public Place  100
Submitted via the Web   50

Station:
Elecraft KX3 @ 5W to a linked dipole @ 20' (with downward slope to E and N)
Yaesu VX7R and whip antenna for 2M

Soapbox:
I drove across the Bay to operate a light QRP-battery operation from Vollmer
Peak, a Summits on the Air (SOTA) 1-pointer in the Berkeley Hills.  This is a
beautiful vista point with a downward slope in all directions and beautiful
views of Mt. Diablo, Mt. Tam, the Port of Oakland, and Downtown SF.

With many other commitments over the weekend, I had a few modest goals, all of
which were met during my 4-hour operating period.

1) Field-test a new 40/15-30-20-10-6 jumper-linked dipole for my Summits on the
Air expeditions.  The antenna worked superbly.
2) Field-test the endurance of my other equipment for a longer than usual
expedition.  My 90Wh LiFePO4 battery worked fine, but it may be time to finally
install a heat sink on my Elecraft KX3.  I used my iPad for field logging for
the first time.  The batteries in the pad lasted about 5 hours.
3) Make contacts with as many unique stations as possible on 6M and 10M for the
Summits on the Air 10M/6M Challenge, which runs for most of the summer.  As a
result, I spent much more time on phone on those two bands than I would have
otherwise.  The highlight of the day was working a marginal NN4NC on 10M SSB.
The SF Bay enjoyed light Sporadic E to the Pacific Northwest for part of
Saturday afternoon, with spotlight propagation moving into Idaho by late
afternoon.
4) Determine the effectiveness of my portable setup in domestic contests.  I
was not able to maintain a great run rate, but I was able to hold a frequency
and work stations.  Most of my 10M SSB QSOs were made by running, not S&P.

As the late afternoon fog enshrouded Vollmer Peak, I drove across the Berkeley
and Oakland Hills to the Oakland Radio Club's WW6OR operation, where I enjoyed
80-100 QSO/hr rates on 20M CW with a tribander and 100W.  Thanks to the ORCA
members, especially fellow SOTA activator Chris, KJ6WEG, for the gracious
last-minute hospitality.

73,
NF1R