[3830] 222Up AE0EE/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ae0ee@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] 222Up AE0EE/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 07 Aug 2017 05:09:47 +0000

------------
Total:  54  Total Score = 1,259

Club: Minnesota Wireless Assn

Team: UHF Da!

Comments:

222: 5 W FM, 3-element hand-held yagi
432: 20 W, 7-element yagi at 12'
446: 5 W, ground plane at 5'
1296: 5 W, 3rd harmonic on 7-element 432 yagi

Grids activated: EN24xx, EN25xa, EN34ax, EN34ix, EN35aa

Roved with UHF Da! teammate Dave, W0ZF/R to the Winsted corner.  Admittedly our
grid-circling strategy would have worked better under the old rules, but should
be good for a total of ~350 km after all the bands and QSOs are accounted for.
We probably spent too much time working on those low-value contacts rather than
moving a little further from the corner.

The weather was mostly cooperative, with reasonable temperatures, low winds,
and only one short rain shower.  One 1.2G contact was lost to the rain shower,
while another was lost with a high noise floor in one direction at one of the
operating sites.

Although my strategy was far better suited to the old rules than the new one, I
like the new format of the contest.  I think it really helps reinforce the idea
of pushing boundaries, and the team competition makes it easy for local clubs
to encourage FM contest operations (e.g. challenging a neighboring club).

Time to get the 1296 rover antenna in shape before the September VHF contest!