[3830] ARRL 160 N3BB Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 N3BB Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 15:37:35 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: N3BB
Operator(s): N3BB
Station: N3BB

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: stx
Operating Time (hrs): 12

Total:  QSOs = 784  Sections = 79  Countries = 12  Total Score = 150,969

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

What an experience. Got to try out both the SAL30 RX antenna and the
W5JAW-designed shunt-fed tower TX antennas in a real test over some extended
conditions. Both work very well, but probably not at a world-class level, but
both are perfect for me! What a rush in the 160 meter contest! I would not have
the interest and stamina to stay with this most of the time, but this was a lot
of fun since the station not plays pretty well on Top Band. Of course I ran
into reality when going up against K5NA, N5AW, and K5AND here in town. But all
in all, what a blast!

Missed PAC, NT, NL, and PR. Heard a VO1 once working a station on S&P but
that was it. The contact with KL7SB was thrilling as he called with a
"tortured signal." Heard him CQing Sunday morning early with a much
better signal. Least worked sections were:

Two contacts: Snj, Mb, EwWa, Sb, Ri, Ab, WTx.

One Contact: Wy, Nd, NNy, Ak.

Didn't hear much DX, and certainly no "wide open" conditions, but
perhaps I missed the openings. Did work: XE, PJ2, ZF, C6, EA, DL, JA, CM, F,
and G.

All in all, a lot of fun with some serious slogging.

Thanks to all for the contacts.

Jim N3BB