[3830] ARRL 160 EI2CN SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, turnbull@net1.ie
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 EI2CN SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 16:25:08 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: EI2CN
Operator(s): EI2CN
Station: EI2CN

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: Ireland
Operating Time (hrs): 10

Total:  QSOs = 211  Sections = 53  Countries = 3  Total Score = 22,366

Club: Grande County Louth DX Alliance

Comments:

This started as a fun type dip in and dip out effort using search and pounce
only from data supplied by RBN and reflectors.   Just click, listen and try to
be heard.   The Stew Perry will be different with no assistance. I managed to
stay up on Friday night till 04:15 UTC and started again going in and out on
Sunday Morning from 04:30 till about 08:00.   The total operating time is about
10 hours so the Q rate is very low at around 20 but even so I was never bored or
falling to sleep.

The receive antenna is a Hi-Z 8 circle for 160M only.   It is very directive
with a frontal lobe of about 52 degrees and F/B of up to 30/35 db but this
varies depending on the incoming angle and exact location of the station off
the back.    Still from Ireland, Europe is to my back and greatly attenuated.
 I am no alligator as I hear much better than I am heard.   Most spots had a
signal associated with them but many of these stations could not hear me.

I run 1500W allowed for this contest in Ireland and the TX antenna is an
inverted L 100 foot (30M) vertical.   The ground radial system is over kill
with over 125 radials of about 0.25 wavelength.

With the Hi-Z antenna the band has little noise but there are readable signals
everywhere in a contest.   Note I am talking of the 160M only eight circle
which uses all eight verticals at anyone time.   Some of the eight circles are
interlaced four square antennas with a broader front lobe

Like others, I did not find the morning grey line to provide that much of a
boost.    My greatest DX was Arizona.    It made me happy to work WD5COV in New
Mexico a state for which I have a special affection. This NM QSO was a real
battle and I needed to return to the frequency many times before a QSO was
made.  South Dakota closer in was also worked.    Pretty much everything else
to the east of the Mississippi is in the log including most of the mid-west to
the west but not the likes of NE or ND.    No west coast stations were heard.
Nothing west of VE3 was worked in the northern neighbour.

About five years ago the west coast, KH6 and KL7 would be worked in the early
morning hours with a poorer antenna system for both RX and TX.    So things are
not as good as once upon a time but maybe we will yet see a general improvement.
  All we can do on TB is to record our results - it is very hard to make
predictions.

Thank you one and all for a wonderful time.   Now for the real one, The Stew
Perry and later the CQWW 160M where the whole world has a chance to work
itself.   I like the fourteen hour Stew in particular.

K3 P3
Acom 2000A
Inverted L at 30M vertical and extensive radial field
Hi-Z 200' diameter 160M only 8 circle
WinTest and MicroKeyer II