[3830] ARRL 160 VA7ST Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] ARRL 160 VA7ST Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 03 Dec 2017 19:17:05 +0000
ARRL 160-Meter Contest

Call: VA7ST
Operator(s): VA7ST
Station: VA7ST

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: BC
Operating Time (hrs): 16.5

Total:  QSOs = 400  Sections = 67  Countries = 4  Total Score = 57,865

Club: Orca DX and Contest Club

Comments:

So that's what Top Band is like with a little bit more power. As expected,
running the new AL-80B provided a personal best after so many low-power
entries.

But it didn't produce a best-ever multiplier total -- that remains at 75 with
my 2007 outing. This weekend's 400 Qs is 45 more than my 2007 high of 355. The
difference back then running 100W was a sunspot minimum (ballpark) and the same
Inverted-L over a 32-radial field on the ground. Alas, I got one season out of
those radials as they were bare aluminum and the soil here ate them into
oxidized fragments, quite literally, in months.

Still running the same wire over three raised radials connected to an FCP box.
The vertical wire is 70 feet, the remaining horizontal wire slopes down due
east to about 40 feet. The null  due east was noticeable and must be
eliminated. Planning a spring project to make it a T-top vertical, hopefully
improving performance.

Only DX orked were ZF, C6 and UA9. I don't consider XE to be DX but was nice to
have among the multipliers.

The band opened up across the northeastern states for me on Sunday morning,
filling in all the New England mults that I had been missing. Thanks to
everyone for calling in, and for staying up so late into the wee hours.

-- Bud VA7ST

Year-over-year:
       QSO     Sec   Score
2017   400     71   57,865  16.5 hr HP