[3830] RTTY Roundup W4GE SO Unlimited HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, schmiera@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] RTTY Roundup W4GE SO Unlimited HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 08 Jan 2018 04:51:26 +0000
ARRL RTTY Roundup

Call: W4GE
Operator(s): W4GE
Station: W4GE

Class: SO Unlimited HP
QTH: SC
Operating Time (hrs): 9.5

------------
   80:   65
   40:  126
   20:  104
   15:    5
   10:    0
------------
Total:  300  State/Prov = 46  Countries = 31  Total Score = 23,100

Club: $199 CC

Comments:

Fun but with some frustrations.  Lost a couple of hours fighting with N1MM+
sound interface to equipment.  Finally found the errant setting screen under the
MMVari digital engine.  But it did forced me to systemically organize my
interface names and protocols, so there is always a good side to a failure mode,
right?

Condx were certainly down from last year, (EU was not easy) and my point and
contact totals are down for a similar amount of time as last year, but its good
practice, right?  (Note to self: while S&P is relaxed and fun, it sucks in
terms of QSO totals...)

Otherwise, all went as to plan, the antennas worked, the transmitter
transmitted, the amplifier amplified, and the receivers received.  It was good
practice for the next digital 'test.  Only one time did the Xcvr simply shut
down just after calling a CQ.  I have no idea why.  It came right back up, but I
was a little flumaxed, and I did have to reset the rig interface to N1MM+.
(Note to self:  Keep the cats from walking around the back of the rigs in later
contests.)

Rig: Elecraft K3(S), P#, XMatch, Acom 1500.

Antennas: Hex at 12m, 40/30m Vertical with elevated radials, 80m 1/4 wave
vertical with switched loading coil for 160m.  RX antennas:  NE Pennant, Pixel
Loop, N/S RBOG, E/W RBOG.

Software:  N1MM+

We had five days of weather in the low twentys at night and Charleston, SC, was
basically shut down for all that time.  It was good WX for a contest, but social
commitments and too relaxed an attitude allowed Murphy to slip into the mix.
(Note to self: Set up the equipment the day before to check everything out in
case a N1MM+ update changes menus and such!)

As always, thanks go to all participants who showed grace under pressure and the
goodness to answer my calls and CQs.  Happy New Year everyone!

Rick
W4GE

PS  (Note to self: Never write these comments in the late evening after a
contest.)