[3830] MnQP N8II Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, N8II@aol.com
Subject: [3830] MnQP N8II Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 02:16:32 +0000
                    Minnesota QSO Party

Call: N8II
Operator(s): N8II
Station: N8II

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: WV
Operating Time (hrs): 8.6

  160:       0        0
   80:      23        2
   40:      89        9
   20:      50       90
   15:
   10:
-------------------------
Total:     252      101  Mults = 78  Total Score = 41,028

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

Conditions were a challenge, especially around 2025Z when 20M closed to MN and
not much was heard on 40 either. However, unlike the CW mobiles on 20, 20 came
back to life 20 minutes later and was open eventually quite well to all of MN.
Rich, N0H/M = N0HJZ was quite loud in the 23Z hour on 20 phone as was W9FZ/M.
Very few CW mobiles showed up on 20 after 2030Z. 40 was OK until around 1645Z
when absorption took hold for the next 3+ hours making some mobiles inaudible
here. After 21Z, 40M mobile activity seemed pretty limited and the RTTY contest
du jour did not help, but below 7039 stayed pretty clear. I found almost no
phone activity on 75 phone and very little on 40 phone until most other state
QP's.
20M phone was the star of the show, quite a few MN stations running along with
ever present N0H/M and running yielded quite a few new stations/1x1 calls. 80 CW
was OK, but few mobiles were found. Those there were Q5.

The 1x1 call chase was fun, but added a little more mental taxing to my somewhat
sleep deprived brain. I worked 59 unique 1x1's (same as K1RO) and 206 total 1x1
Q's. At least 2 stations from each letter were worked except O, but W0O was
worked 12 times. So, I easily qualified for all 3 awards.

Considering the obstacles including only running 200W and only a sloping dipole
on 40, I was more or less satisfied with the results, a 2nd place finish HP and
also behind Tom, N2CU as usual who always puts in a great effort/score. I also
worked BC and VT stations as I S&P'ed the bands (results good). I thought I
was active last year, but apparently not. Scores were up this year, despite
generally poorer conditions probably due to increased MN activity and the 1x1's.
I feel that a lot of the serious CW mobiles are more interested in working MN
and nearby states than others farther away. It was slow after 2030Z, pretty
hectic from 1420Z-1600Z. 20 did not open to MN until around 1430Z and not to
Minneapolis until about 1450Z, but was open with very sparse activity right
until the end thanks to probable sporadic E after 2230Z (also some definite Es
into VT!).

Thanks for the Q's and answering my CQ's, not sure it is worth spending a whole
day if conditions do not improve. And thanks to the mobiles who braved bitter
cold and slippery roads.

73, Jeff