[3830] ARRLDX CW N9NB SO Unlimited LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n9nb@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRLDX CW N9NB SO Unlimited LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 19 Feb 2018 01:16:42 +0000
                    ARRL DX Contest, CW

Call: N9NB
Operator(s): N9NB
Station: N9NB

Class: SO Unlimited LP
QTH: va
Operating Time (hrs): 20.4
Radios: SO2R

  160:   14    11
   80:   75    51
   40:  479    78
   20:  376    93
   15:   92    48
   10:   18    14
-------------------
Total: 1054   295  Total Score = 932,790

Club: Potomac Valley Radio Club

Comments:

I was hoping to have a sophisticated so2R station for the ARRL CW contest, but
vendor problems and lack of shack prep time prohibited the goal --- I made 150
Q's the first day, just pouncing on multipliers, reading email, cleaning the
shack, not doing a serious effort. Then, I had an idea that would allow me to do
"pseudo SO2R" by putting the 2 rigs on different bands, and using
individual stack matches with BPFs. I hooked it up around 10pm Saturday, and had
so2r working by 11pm, and had a blast working 40/80 and 20/160for the first time
at my own station, all on my own. Amazed at the five or so JA's who called in at
2:30am on 40m (that seemed early!), and was happy to work about 35 JA's during
the contest (only on 20 and 40). Surpised to hear so many given the low
sunspots. Went to sleep at 4:30am after having lots of fun trying SO2R for a 5
hour run. The SO2R set up worked pretty well, but I stil haven't figured out how
to get sidetone, so I send with the paddles by looking at the lights. I got used
to it but probably sent a lot of QLFs. I went full bore the last 10 hours after
getting up at 9am on Sunday. In summary, the contest started out badly, as I was
not able to set up the station as I had hoped for solid SO2R, but a little
creative thinking salvaged the contest. Wow, SO2R is hard! Lots to learn. thanks
for the qso's and for the fun. 73 ted n9nb