[3830] WPX CW KA1IS SOSB40 TB-Wires LP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] WPX CW KA1IS SOSB40 TB-Wires LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 May 2018 03:34:12 +0000
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: KA1IS
Operator(s): KA1IS
Station: KA1IS

Class: SOSB40 LP
Class Overlay: TB-Wires
QTH: Maine
Operating Time (hrs): 30

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  758
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  758  Prefixes = 470  Total Score = 1,247,380

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Another field operation from Witt Hill in Norway, Maine. If not for the tent I
would have been devoured by black flies. At least until the temperature dropped
30 degrees on Saturday night and then it was hard knowing which was the lesser
evil.

The hilltop is heavily wooded with natural antenna supports. The week before the
contest I put up a wire ground plane with 12 elevated radials and a couple of
350 foot long beverage antennas. Nearly impossible to hammer ground rods into
the rocks. This is an addition to existing 30 and 40 foot high dipoles.

The first night I used the ground plane because it was new. But ended up
favoring the dipole the rest of the time because it seemed to perform better
when the band was just opening to Europe. And there wasn't a lot of super long
distance or long path stuff to be heard anyway. The lowest dipole was best for
working US stations. The beverage antennas didn't bring in magical weak signals
but were a joy to listen to because of reduced QRN.

Didn't work any JA's or East Asia. Heard them at times faintly in the
background. Also, as is typical this time of year, not much from the Southern
hemisphere.

Highlight of the contest was W0ZZ (my brother) coming back to a CQ at about 3AM
local time.

My first effort for YCCC.