[3830] CQWW SSB K4AJA/VP9 M/2 LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, k4aja73@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB K4AJA/VP9 M/2 LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2018 16:33:40 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB

Call: K4AJA/VP9
Operator(s): K4AJA AA4V W4GE N4SF
Station: K4AJA/VP9

Class: M/2 LP
QTH: Bermuda
Operating Time (hrs): 48

  160:  171     7       13
   80:  613    18       67
   40:  834    25       89
   20:  760    23       81
   15:  410    21       84
   10:    2     2        2
------------------------------

Club: Carolina DX Association

Comments:

From 23 October to 30 October 2018 Dave (K4AJA), Steve (AA4V), Rick (W4GE), and
Gay (N4SF) were on the air from a cottage in Sandys Parrish, Bermuda, including
a M/2 Low Power (100W power limit in Bermuda) entry for the 2018 CQ Worldwide
SSB Contest as K4AJA/VP9.

The cottage owner graciously allowed us to utilize the large front and side
yards and courtyard to spread out our 4 masts on the cottage’s property.

Before and after the contest we used our own calls /VP9 to make contacts on CW,
SSB and FT8 on a number of the HF bands.

We brought about 400 pounds of equipment spread over multiple cases. We did have
to pay oversize luggage fees for the case with the masts. The K4KIO Hexbeam with
a wide pattern was a good choice as the available 15 and 20m stations were often
not in the same direction. The VA6AM low power HF triplexer with Filtermax IV
band pass filters at each rig and a 20m stub at the 20m triplexer output allowed
us to share the Hexbeam between transmitters. The 20m stub was necessary to
suppress the distortion products that seem to be generated by the Hexbeam and
shows up across 10 meters.

Although Bermuda is a beautiful, safe location with friendly locals, as a low
power entry, we had a difficult time holding a run frequency. Although calling
“Portable VP9” helped, we had challenges competing in the pileups for
multipliers.

Having a compound call at low power was often extremely frustrating. Our
K4AJA/VP9 compound call made it difficult for stations to copy our call sign.
You could hear the tone of many operators voice change and they gave us many
thanks when their logging software told them their work just got them a new
multiplier.

The low sunspots brought challenging band conditions, causing 40m and 20m to be
quite crowded. We only made 2 contacts on 10m. Short skip to the US was limited
until late each afternoon. Low power and the poor band conditions made it
difficult to work into some areas of Europe and Asia.

All of our equipment performed perfectly with no failures.

Rigs: Elecraft K3S

Antennas:
K4KIO Hex Beam for 20-10m at 25 feet
60 foot vertical with SGC-231 remote antenna tuner for 160 and 80m
33 foot vertical for 40m
Pennant receiving antennas shared for 160, 80, and 40m
Software: N1MM+

All contacts will be uploaded to LoTW, eQSL, and ClubLog within a week after we
are home.

QSL cards will be made and delivered for those sending either a Self-Addressed
Stamped Envelope (SASE) for US mail or 2 USD plus a Self-Addressed Envelope
(SAE) from DX stations with addresses outside the US. No Bureau cards will be
processed. Send Contest QSL requests to K4AJA's QRZ.com address. Send QSL
request for outside the contest period to (home call)/VP9

Thanks to all for your grace under extreme conditions!

K4AJA and the K4AJA/VP9 team