[3830] CQWW CW N1EN SO(A)AB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, mda@n1en.org
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW N1EN SO(A)AB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2018 03:31:06 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: N1EN
Operator(s): N1EN
Station: N1EN

Class: SO(A)AB LP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 35.75
Radios: SO2R

  160:   41    12       24
   80:  186    17       70
   40:  417    24      101
   20:  518    25       93
   15:  113    17       54
   10:    1     1        1
------------------------------

Club: Yankee Clipper Contest Club

Comments:

Some developments with work and family have severely limited my ham radio time
in the past couple of years, but I was bound and determined to make a serious
full-time effort this year.

You could say that preparation for this event actually started last year.

You see, for the prior few years, a tradition of gathering in Pennsylvania for
Thanksgiving dinner was formed, with the caveat that my wife and I would leave
for home after dinner, usually resulting in getting at home at 2am Friday
morning...leaving me a bit drained and stretched by contest start.

However, about one year ago, my company was acquired by a Canadian firm, and  in
the resultant reshuffling, I ended up telecommuting to VE2-land, rather than W0
and W5.

So my family was surprisingly understanding when I suggested that between the
stress of putting my father through holiday season travel, and the simple fact
that I no longer have US Thanksgiving off from work, that perhaps we should all
observe Canadian Thanksgiving in October, rather than the traditional
US-standard November festival of gluttony.

(My wife, of course, saw right through my suggestion.  I had to bribe her with
going out to a very nice dinner Thursday night, to play along.)

Not having holiday fuss going into this weekend's contest was rather pleasant.
:)

However, my plans weren't perfect.  Weather and work interfered with getting
planned antenna work done in time...but it turns out a better 10m antenna
wouldn't have mattered, the new 80m antenna was going to be a bit of a gamble
anyway, and the 160m did OK despite my wanting to redo the counterpoise.  And
Murphy decided to send a cold my way, hitting full force Sunday morning.

Considering how propagation has been this year, I didn't have high hopes for
this weekend, and set the N1MM goals table with a pace to do just over 1000
Q's.

Happily, I beat that.

Saturday, I had considered taking a quick nap when 20 slowed after lunch.  But I
saw lots of spots on 40, and so I thought I'd quickly check it out.

I hadn't realized that Europe was workable, at low power and with only a dipole,
from W1 in the early afternoon.  That made for a more interesting day.  I think
this is the first time I've broken 100 countries on 40.

Low bands were OK Friday night.  They would have been wonderful Saturday night
except for a lot of storm noise.  Sadly, Sunday, for the close...it was not fun
being low power.

Heard only one local station on 10m.  Fifteen was a tease.  And 20...well, one
day we'll have sunspots again, right?

Station:
2×K3

Antennas: