[3830] FT8 RUp KJ5T SO Unlimited QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, steve@kj5t.net
Subject: [3830] FT8 RUp KJ5T SO Unlimited QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 03 Dec 2018 02:51:30 +0000
                    FT8 Roundup

Call: KJ5T
Operator(s): KJ5T
Station: KJ5T

Class: SO Unlimited QRP
QTH: Austin, TX
Operating Time (hrs): 16

------------
   80:
   40:  26
   20:  45
   15:   5
   10:
------------
Total:  76  State/Prov = 28  Countries = 1  Total Score = 2,204

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

Haven't had any chances to do any contesting since earlier this year.  Saw this
one on the calendar and figured it would be a good chance to play with my end
fed on the balcony while I also did some other things.  Op time was not 16
straight hours of actually focusing on the contest but thought it appropriate to
include the full time that I was here and somewhat paying attention to what was
being decoded.  I used my Elecraft KX2 for this one and ran 5 watts the entire
contest.  It was great to play a little bit in a contest again.

I did have issues when I started out using the new ham radio computer, I picked
up a Lenovo Thinkpad T450 primarily for RTTY contesting since the software I use
there is all Windows based (N1MM, 2Tone, MMTTY).  I initially was trying to run
the KX2 on it but was having issues with RF getting into the KX2 on transmit.  I
decided to go ahead and upgrade WSJT-X on my Linux box and I have no issues
there.  Probably will try some Ferrites on the cables and see if I can get that
sorted out.

Only other thing is that my end fed is not long enough to do 80 meters (only
30ft of wire).  I could decode fine but obviously was not resonate at all there
to actually log anyone on 80.  I may play with alternatives, heck even an STL
for 80 might be small enough for my balcony and with FT-8 I just need to tune it
for the contest frequency and I will be right around there the entire time.

Looking forward to finding more FT8 contests where I can have some fun in
between other contesting opportunities.