[3830] TBDC VE3VN Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3vn.fn25@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] TBDC VE3VN Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sun, 30 Dec 2018 16:16:31 +0000
                    Stew Perry Topband Challenge

Call: VE3VN
Operator(s): VE3VN
Station: VE3VN

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH:
Operating Time (hrs): 6:30

Total:  QSOs = 209  Total Score = 1,971

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

QRP on 160 meters brings to mind the parable of the dancing elephant: rather
than criticize the quality of the dancing, be astounded that it can dance at
all.

This is my second Stew, both times as QRP. Until late 2017 I never had a proper
160 meter antenna so this contest is a way to have fun with it and reward with
bonus points those who take the time to pull my signal out of the noise.

After the RAC contest (0000Z) I did the 5 minute recabling to switch from the
FTdx5000 to the KX3 (the former only dials down to 10 watts). Luckily the KX3
doesn't have a receive antenna port so I could not hear the many stations I did
not have a hope of working.

As before I had my eye out for the furthest stations. The evening started out
slow in that sense. Later on magic happened. I worked a large number of 21 point
west coasters, many of whom copied me quite easily. In the other direction I had
good luck focussing on the sunrise line as it swept from Russia across Europe.
The reward was far more Europeans entering the log than I had any right to
expect. Of course the vast majority could not hear me, but there were others
with great ears and receive antennas.

My best DX was a 51-point QSO with RW7K. It took a long time for him to dig out
my call and grid and I thank him for the supreme effort. Hopefully he thought
the effort worthwhile, and with the 4x multiplier that's a lot of points!
Another notable rarity was 3V8SF at his sunrise. There are a handful of European
45 point QSOs in my log. All Europe QSOs were a struggle on their end.

Some took shortcuts. Two with great imaginations come to mind who after fighting
to get my call seemed happy to subsequently log me despite my not having yet
sent my exchange. I guess they found it elsewhere. Sorry, not in my log.

I shut down when the terminator crossed France. I heard KH6 but did not stick
around for better morning conditions. Typically easy to work Caribbean stations
were missed when they did not hear me at all. Maybe the QRN level is higher than
usual.

Thanks for the Q's and the making the effort to pull me through.