[3830] ARRL Jan VHF W9KXI Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w9kxi@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF W9KXI Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2019 18:26:04 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  82     43  Total Score = 5,418

Club: Mt Airy VHF Radio Club

Comments:

Best score I’ve had in YEARS from FN12ne.

Now having said that…this is the first January VHF/UHF contest that I’ve
worked from home in years, because I’ve always worked the contest with K2LIM
group.

Having said that. There were awful, Awful conditions on Saturday and only a
little better on Sunday.  There were very few contacts beyond 200 miles.  WZ1V,
Ron, is one of my benchmarks on the conditions and his signal was
"down" significantly from his normal.  He and I did find a QSB peak to
finally get 222 near the end of the contest.

A BIG learning experience, after having been at K2LIM.  At W9KXI: 1) Four foot
switches; 2) only One antenna per band; 3) three radios; 4) had to learn to keep
track which band I was logging the contact to; 5) for the FT847, a different
drive level setting for three bands…

No digital here…not that I didn't try.  Earlier in the week, (with help) I
successfully set-up WSJT-X with a new Win 10 computer and a new FT-991A.  When I
set it up in my radio room Saturday morning and turned it on…there were both
WSJT-X and Windows error notifications.  After trying to both operate the
contest and "dink" with the computer, I gave up on the latter.

Three contacts on 23cm.  From down here in the “hole”, I was pleased with
that.

One casualty: the 2M LNA, even with the sequencer.  I suspect that its demise
was the result of "pilot error".

I hope that all of the participants had fun, I know that I did.

Al – W9KXI
FN12ne