[3830] CQWW SSB N5AW SOAB Classic HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, n5aw@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW SSB N5AW SOAB Classic HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Mon, 28 Oct 2019 16:22:01 +0000
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, SSB - 2019

Call: N5AW
Operator(s): N5AW
Station: N5AW

Class: SOAB HP
Class Overlay: Classic
QTH: TX (EM00)
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:   21     9       15
   80:   63    18       40
   40:  127    24       61
   20:  232    21       72
   15:  197    21       73
   10:   80    10       24
------------------------------
Total:  730   103      285  Total Score = 756,600

Club: Central Texas DX and Contest Club

Comments:

SSB is not my favorite mode, especially during the low portion of the sunspot
cycle so opted for Classic. However time management is really important in this
category and I did a horrible job of that. Looking at propagation forecasts I
thought correctly that conditions would be better in the second half of the
contest so intended to put in more time the second day. However did not track my
time and ended up with 12 hours the first 24. Then with 5 hours to go Sunday
afternoon I thought I had 3.5 hours left but actually had only one hour. All due
to not taking the contest seriously enough. Was nice to get a decent nights
sleep though and to take off some time to be with the xyl.

Low bands were frustrating - heard lots of Europeans on 80 that could not hear
me despite running 1.5 KW to a good antenna. Worked the only JA I heard on 80
and just 8 on 40. Higher bands were also a disappointment to JA with none on 15
and only 9 on 20. Decent 15 meter opening Sunday to Southern Europe on 15 but
very little from the rest of the continent. Did not work a single SM, LA, or OZ
on any band. Only Russian worked was RT0F on 80 meters. Heard a very weak RU1A
on 15 but he could not hear me. Always some surprises in this contest - ET3AA on
15 was certainly one.

20 SSB to Europe is especially tough from here in a sunspot minimum and I did
not even try a run there. Lots of CQs on 15 but mostly South American callers
even when the band was open to Southern Europe. Overall I worked more South
Americans than Europeans - a good indicator of poor conditions from here.

Sure will be glad when sunspots return! Meanwhile I'll make a little more
serious effort in the CW contest.

Marv N5AW

                               2019 CQ-WW-SSB N5AW
                                 Continent List

                    160    80    40    20    15    10   ALL
                    ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---   ---
      USA calls =     1     2     1     2     4     2    12
   Canada calls =     5    15    12     8     1     0    41
       NA calls =     9    18    26    27    40    13   133
       SA calls =     4     8    21    62    72    65   232
     Euro calls =     0     9    33   115    60     0   217
  African calls =     2     5     7     6    16     1    37
    Asian calls =     0     1     2     1     0     0     4
    Japan calls =     0     1     8     9     0     0    18
    Ocean calls =     0     4    18     5     6     0    33

     Total calls =    21    63   129   236   200    81  730