[3830] CQ160 CW NA8V Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, hgchapoton@gmail.com
Subject: [3830] CQ160 CW NA8V Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:34:16 +0000
                    CQ 160-Meter Contest, CW - 2020

Call: NA8V
Operator(s): NA8V
Station: NA8V

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: mi
Operating Time (hrs): ~28

Total:  QSOs = 1415  State/Prov = 57  Countries = 67  Total Score = 716,348

Club: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

A great weekend indeed.  I've seen better condx for short periods of time but
the length of the opening Saturday night was right up there although it did tail
off a bit early.  I had 115 Eu the first night and added another 200 the second.
 They came in rolling waves.  In fact I had several contacts where I easily got
the call but QSB took the report and was unable to complete the contact.  Best
Dx was RA8A and 7Z1SJ.  There was a bit of QRN Friday while Sat was as quiet as
one could hope for.  I was bopping along the 2nd night when right about 06z
there was an instant change and it seemed like I had a 20db pad in the receiver.
 I checked everything, aborted the run, tuned the band and found condx had
radically changed.  Did come back a little but not what one would hope for in an
Eu sunrise.  That was when I realized that my Scandinavian count was down from
previous "good conditions" contests.  Pleased to work several SA
stations, LU8DPM and CX6VM were beacons, CE2LR was loud.

Missed mults were SK and NF, plus the unobtainium NT/YU/PE.  To the west, I got
a couple KH6 and nothing else.  Saturday night I took a break for food and drink
at 10z, intending to take a half hour off.  I woke up at 1230z on the couch,
assumed there was not much happening like the first night and rolled over.  I've
seen several reports that condx were good then so that was a mistake.

Had thoughts several times about how many points I'd be piling up in a Stew
Perry.  Then I realized that with the early start of the TBDC, the Eu stations
have already worked each other to some extent opening the band up for
intercontinental contacts - what a novel concept that would ease the mess the
first night.  I know I'm going to lose more than a couple contacts for stations
working someone else on my freq that I couldn't hear was there.

Thanks for all the contacts!

greg/na8v

USA calls   =    991
VE calls    =     69