[3830] ARRL Jan VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, Kk6mc@amsat.org
Subject: [3830] ARRL Jan VHF KK6MC/R Rover LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Tue, 28 Jan 2020 00:40:00 +0000

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  212    21  Total Score = 11,064

Club: New Mexico VHF Society

Comments:

This was a shakedown rove for my new rover. It replaced the one that got
destroyed by hitting a horse at the end of the September contest. I found a lot
of things that needed to get fixed or adjusted, so things were less than
optimum. The 222MHz and 902 transverters did not work and I couldn’t fix it
during the contest, so I was without those two productive bands. I could not get
the WSJT interface to work so I was off the digital modes. Things to work on for
next year. On the up side, all the antennas worked, and the new power line we
ran from the main battery kept the aux battery nicely charged.

I rove in AZ in the January contest as the weather is much nicer. When I first
started doing this 10 years ago there was little to modest activity in AZ, but
the last few years it has really picked up, due to three factors, SOTA activity
scheduled around the VHF contest, moving the contest off the same weekend as the
160M contest, and the WSJT modes. There were 11 SOTA stations on summits, many
well equipped with 6 bands. Thanks to WA7JTM for putting that together. There
were 5 rovers out, including me, a long ways to come from the days when I was
the only rover in January in AZ. Microwave activity has really increased in AZ
as well, which really helps with the QS0 Points.

I started Saturday afternoon in the Petrified National Forest at DM54. Activity
was very slow, but I did manage 5 QSOs, including 3 nice ones with W9RM. I then
moved to Pintado Point, DM55, in the park and