[3830] CWopsT W8FN Single Op HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, w8fn@windstream.net
Subject: [3830] CWopsT W8FN Single Op HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2022 04:37:47 +0000
                    CWops Test (CWT) - 0300Z Feb 10

Call: W8FN
Operator(s): W8FN
Station: W8FN

Class: Single Op HP
QTH: NC
Operating Time (hrs): 0:35

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  65
   20:
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  65  Mults = 65  Total Score = 4,225

Club: South East Contest Club

Comments:

This session was a horrible debacle. 40 meters was long, so started on 80.
Everything looked fine at start time, but when it came time to begin the run I
found that N1MM wouldn't transmit any messages from the keyboard function keys.
A restart of N1MM didn't fix the problem. Then it became evident that something
was amiss in the Green Heron software that runs the antenna switching. About 25
minutes of head-scratching (and whole lot of bad language) found no cure for the
software screwup. To complicate things further, I made the mistake of trying to
switch the 80 meter antenna manually from the GHE controls and was rewarded with
the complete loss of 80 meter antenna on the primary radio. Changing to another
band failed to change things. Fortunately, the secondary radio was still on 40
meters. Putting the secondary radio on 80 failed to work as well, so I was stuck
on 40 meters using the secondary rig. I managed to find a hole and proceeded to
run for the remaining 35 minutes. After the first 25 minutes or so of the run
most folks had abandoned 40 and gone down to 80, so the rate dropped to
essentially zero. I finished up working a very few S&P in the remaining
time. Hope things don't go bad again next week. See everyone at 1300Z next
Wednesday morning.

73...
Randy, W8FN