[AMPS] L-4B conversion to 3CX1200

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] L-4B conversion to 3CX1200
From: g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk (Chris Pedder)
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 14:06:44 +0000
>> Jim,
>>
>> I rcvd this article few years ago from Eimac with their tubes catalog
>> and
>> some application notes I asked. Personnaly, I'm not so sure that this
>> conversion is such a good ideea: it's quite laborious, costly and this
>> quite
>> old tube has poor spectral purity performance than 3CX1500 or 3CX800
>> and needs 100W drive.It's cheaper than the new ones but , no free
>> lunches.
>>
>> 73 de Morel, 4X1AD
>
>I agree also, If you had the drive to make a pair of them go, I dought
>the power
>supply would hold up in the Drake L4B. Go back with the 3-500's.
>Ron W4WA

If my memory serves me correctly the 3CX1500 is a rather older tube than the
3CX1200 and the latter was announced at around the same time as the 3CX800.

The original CQ article from October 1985 included details of a very heavy
duty power supply. ( I regard a 5kv 1.8 amp Peter Dahl Hypersil as heavy
duty, though a 'light duty' 5kv 0.9 amp is also mentioned.) Drake power
supplies AC3 and AC4 as well as the linear psus were pretty marginal on 60hz
and over here on 50hz left something to be desired. As to the conversion of
the L4b being laborious, I beg to differ.

Having said that, I personally would not do the conversion. Better to build
from scratch and include lots of features absent from the L4b.

73,

Chris

Chris Pedder     G3VBL/8P9EM
E-mail           g3vbl@netcomuk.co.uk