[AMPS] re: Radio Relay

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re: Radio Relay
From: robrk@fyi.net (Bob Morris K2RK)
Date: Fri, 21 Mar 1997 16:57:21 -0500
Tom Rauch (W8JI) wrote:

> Bob Morris wrote:
>
> > The diode/capacitor combo goes on the amplifier side of the resistor.
> > Diode's cathode to the resistor.
>
> What does the diode do? I assume it connects between ground and the
> relay line of the amplifier?
>
> 73 Tom
>
> --

   I was just passing Tim's (K3LR) notes to the guy who read 47k
not 47.0 ohms.
   I assume the diode is the standard spike protection, provide
outboard.

ps... The 3-500 AC wiring...in the ARRL Handbook. I couldn't even
figure out what they were saying to comment on it...

Quote---- 1995 ARRL Handbook - 1995, page 13.36, fig 13.37

     "Chassis ground is not equivalent to the ac-line ground.
The ac neutral wire is connected to chassis ground, so the chassis
must be isolated from the equipment cabinet, which must be connected
to the ac ground conductor"

     Not just ac but there's 3 0r 4 kv going to this box....

Get an extra copy of the Handbook, so your widow can give it to
her lawyer....

   Or does the membership jump up and force the ARRL to print in
big red letters on the cover....

There are some real stupid mistakes in this book and you will kill
yourself, if you follow these designs.