[AMPS] Re: Radio relay

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Radio relay
From: ab4ru@stc.net (Ron Hooper)
Date: Sat, 22 Mar 1997 18:07:53 +0000
            Re: [AMPS] re: Radio Relay
To: <amps@contesting.com>
       Date:
            Sat, 22 Mar 1997 17:46:22 +0000
       From:
            Ron Hooper <ab4ru@stc.net>

Diode protection:
  How the general purpose diodes are suppose to work accross relay coils
is that are intentionally put on in reverse to arrest the voltage
generated caused by back EMF, which is the opposite polarity from the
voltage applied. This back EMF can slow the pick time of the relay when
energizing.  Back EMF is at its highest when current is high and drops
to nothing when the relay is fully picked. Now when you open the relay
the diode does nothing to arrest the collapse of the magnaetic field.
We have use a commerically available device called a snubber
manufactured by several companys designed specifically for thier
devices. This is nothing more than a resistor, capacitor in series that
goes accross the coil.
  I have seen is some cases relays would stick or delay opening because
the diode was not accross the coil. I think it helps to keep the pole of
the relay from becoming magnitized in certain types of relays also. This
would appear to be the same problem as stuck contacts and found to not
be the case. When I get back to work I will see what Siemens are using
on thier DC output modules for protection, which are designed
specifically for inductive loads. They dont require the snubber circuit
so something must be built into each output.
Ron W4WA