[AMPS] MLA-2500B Input SWR

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MLA-2500B Input SWR
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 1997 09:28:06 EST
On Wed, 26 Mar 1997 21:17:18 -0600 John Bradley <jmb@eden.com> writes:
>I obtained a Dentron MLA-2500B shortly before ARRL SS last fall, and
>proceeded to renovate it into operating condition (replaced filter
>caps and
>equalizing resistors, blew out dust etc.).  When I finally brought it
>up,
>my TS-450S exciter was unable to drive it properly on any band.  The
>SWR
>indicated on the transceiver meter was not extraordinary (<3), but the
>power was [apparently] being cut back to about 20 W. by the protective
>circuitry.  The built-in antenna tuner was unable to find any suitable
>match.

The TS-450 has a reputation for being very finicky about VSWR plus a ATU
with a less than ideal matching range.

>At this point, I examined the input circuits (both schematic and
>actual)
>and noticed two things:
>
>1.     The MLA-2500B doesn't have a tuned input circuit; it relies
>on the
>[usually] low input impedance of the 2 8875's in conjunction with a
>100 ohm
>resistor across the input.

Many have disconnected this resistor in an attempt to obtain more output.
In the initial design it was only meant to be removed when using very low
power exciters. This is not covered in the "manual".  It MUST be
installed for 100W nominal drive exciters.

The MLA is capable of 1500W + with good tubes but 1200W or so would
greatly extend tube life since they are over $500 each now.

Perhaps a improved input circuit patterned after the various 2  8874
Alpha's would help the TS-450 along a bit better.  I have experienced no
difficulty when using a TS-940 as an exciter.

Good Luck and I hope that your tubes are not already toasted.

73...Carl   KM1H