[AMPS] Practical KW SS Amp?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Practical KW SS Amp?
From: k0sd@juno.com (k0sd@juno.com)
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 1997 08:58:14 PST
   There is a Ham that advertises in the Amateur Radio Trader for HF AMP
KITS, using 2SC2879 devices.  They are 12 volt devices, and he
advertises kits for 500w for $250, or KW for $500.   You can view his
info at http://users.aol.com/rfelectron/rfelect.htm .   He even has
pictures of the completed amps, and all kinds of data on them.
   He has modules with matched transistor, each pair runs 250w, so two
modules will do 500w or 4 a kw.  The price he quotes is for the modules
alone, but he had cabinets, meters, fans, heat sinks, the whole 9 yards.
 You can buy an assembled KW for less than $900.  He also has a 5
bandpass filter assembly, to keep everything within FCC specs.   You
have to get your own 12v DC power supply.
   I'm tired of buying used 4-1000's that are so far gone you get about
10 hours out of them and they are gone  (they will oscillate at 3500v
plate voltage, low output above 40m, e ct).   I've planned on sitting
down and designing a FET amp, or building the SSKW that was in QST a few
years back, but the FET's are out of sight.
   I've corresponded with him a few times, and they are geared toward the
ssb/cw operator.   I'm wondering what anyone knows about these?   Has anyone
used them, and what is your experience with them?   They come without
any SWR protection, so it would require a little operator knowledge of
what they would safely operate into.   I'm looking for anyone who has/is
using them, and what experience you've had with them.
   Please reply to me directly, k0sd@juno.com.
            Thank you  de  Stephen