[AMPS] SB-230 still works fine.

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-230 still works fine.
From: mays@indigo.ucdavis.edu (Skip)
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 1997 09:16:22 -0700 (PDT)
The sb230 has one 8873 tube.
The manual says power input is 1200 ssb 1000 cw 400 rtty

Yes, and the one I have works very well. The only downfall I would
mention is the extra "loud" TR relay. Although it could be changed out
simple enough, this amplifier was one of the few factory built I'm told
and I'd like to leave it as original as possible. I'm the third owner.

I've heard mention that the SB-230 has some parasitic problems when used
on 20 or 15 meters, but I've never had any problems so far with my
limited use there. Preformance in "the war zone" on 40 has been fine
although the amplifiers frequency responce drops off quite a bit
moving up toward 28MHz. I could clean that up a bit, maybe later.

A last but not least blurb. I received a spare tube from a friend at "the
factory" and the anode is a copper "type" compound, similar to the
factory supplied tube.
Another spare tube I have has an anode that is made from a totally different
alloy that appears to be aluminum. My factory friend mentions that
this is the newer low cost replacement from the competition. Although
these now seem to be the only type easily found  and the lower cost has yet
to be seen.

Cheers
Skip   wv6f