[AMPS] Band Switch Heath SB-1000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Band Switch Heath SB-1000
From: Vince.Fedele@VSTTECH.COM (Vincent Fedele)
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 1997 19:09:39 -0400
Ian:

Your sequencing is logically correct, and in fact is exactly how most
commercial/military gear is designed. However, this is executed without
ALC. Instead, an TX Inhibit signal is used. They are not one in the
same. An ALC has very fast attack, and therefore can be used to mute RF
output from the exciter. Problem with ALC is that the recovery back to
transmit in most ALC ckts is very slow, and takes several seconds. It;'s
not even fast enough for casual VOX on SSB.

An inhibit signal in fast in both make/break conditions, and usually
involves gain loop circuitry from the exciter to amplifier, as a unified
system.

All the best,

Vince
WA2PKE