[AMPS] Filament breakage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Filament breakage
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 12 May 97 22:55:02 -0700
>> Instead of wandering all around the subject how about sticking to one
>> very basic tube like the 811A. Now explain the cause of sudden arcing,
>> bangs, flashes, etc with the end result being a broken filament and even
>> other circuit components.
>
>There certainly are multiple causes Carl, but it is quite obvious
>from the emission limitations of the tube and the actual mechanical
>force available it can not be the direct result of an oscillation.
...snip...
>It is the uneven HEATING of the filament that causes mechanical
>stresses, not magnetic flux.
...snip...
In the following essay, Mr. Rauch did not explain how it is that both
tubes can fail from broken filaments at the same time.  Would two tubes
be likely to fail from "uneven HEATING" at the same instant?
 If a filament simply broke apart and fell into the bottom of the
envelope, emission would cease and no big-bang would be heard.  Mr. Rauch
ignores the fact that one or both 33 ohm grid resistors are often blown
apart during such an occurence.  If the filament fell apart, emission
would cease and there could be NO grid current possible in the 33 ohm
grid resistors.
 If Mr. Rauch wanted to disprove the VHF oscillation theory, he would
recommend testing Rs (the VHF suppressor R) to see if its resistance
increased substantively.  . It seems that someone is using filtered
science.
-- Carl:  If that was the non-wandering all over the place version, I
would hate to see the regular version.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K