[AMPS] 30L1 Grid circuit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 30L1 Grid circuit
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 15 May 97 12:13:48 -0700
>Hi Pete,
>
>> I have a Round Emblem model. I was told that the RF cable
>used to connect
>> the Xmiter (KWM2 etc) to the input of the 30L1 was of critical length. It
>> was explained that the Amp could go into runaway on 21 Mhz and above if
>> this cable was not used.
>
>Your problem illustrates my point about the grid system in the 30L1,
>and the silly super cathode driven system applied to triodes.
'Super cathode driven' applies to a tetrode where the screen is grounded
and the grid is operated at 0 RF-V with respect to the cathode.  Thus,
there is never any grid current in a super cathode driven amplifier
circuit.
>The 30L1 lacks two things important for stability, it has the grids
>improperly grounded and it has NO neutralization circuit. Both are
>serious mistakes with  four 811A tubes in parallel.
...snip...
A push-pull grounded-grid amplifier can be neutralized.
A single-ended grounded-grid amplifier can not be neutralized.  [see
*Care and Feeding of Power Grid Tubes*]

 To check out whether or not Mr. Rauch knows what he is talking about in
the area of grid-grounding, use a dipmeter to measure the grid's resonant
freq. in a 30l-1 with the Collins-stock 220pF grid byass C in place.
Remove the 220pF capacitor.  Replace it with a short length of wide
copper ribbon.  Re-measure the grid's resonant frequency.  If the grid
resonance increases in frequency with the grid directly-grounded, then
the amplifier would be more stable with that modification, and Mr. Rauch
is 'absolutely, positively, 100%' correct.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K