[AMPS] Cetron 572B tubes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Cetron 572B tubes
From: rfp@rfparts.com (Merit W6NQ)
Date: Mon, 19 May 1997 15:47:45 -0700
A few comments about the Cetron 572B and another type of filament failure....
We found that early Cetron tubes through the early 1980's were very good tubes
with high reliability.  Sometime after Richardson bought Cetron, we experienced
great filament failure with new production.  I think there was something wrong
with the wire or assembly, as we were seeing in excess of 10% filament breakage
before installation in equipment, and another 5% premature failure within about
100 hours of use.  Richardson's customer service people confirmed they were
having problems.  What made it even worse, the price had more than doubled
compared to the pre-Richardson takeover.  As it turned out, by 1993, the
Chinese tubes had much fewer filament problems than Cetron (after our strict QC
inspection & selection).   We accepted only the upper 20% of production
(remainder were junked or went elsewhere).

The FL2100B has had a history of various problems, mostly in one way or another
tied to the insufficient cut off bias (-17v) when using the high tap of the
plate transformer.  By changing bias circuit to voltage doubler (plus a
resistor), it is possible to remove/reduce most stability problems.  The later
FL2100Z has this change. Need for bias change applies to all tubes, especially
new tubes with full emission.  Svetlana absolutely requires the change to -34v.
Sometimes the relay closing sequence needs to be adjusted for output circuit
closure before input. (I think there has been adequate discussion on the
subject of fast switching TR circuits on modern transceivers and their affects
on amplifier tubes.)  You should also keep an eye on the tube for signs of gas
with the import tubes.

The above discussion does not touch on proper plate & input tuning, need for
parasitic supressors, neutralization, etc. --just a few comments on the Cetron
and use of new production tubes.

Merit     W6NQ