[AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Wed, 28 May 97 08:54:24 -0700
>W8JI wrote:
>
>>> The need of equalizing resistors and spike caps due to diode manufacturing
>>> variations pasted almost two decades ago.  Old habits are slow to die.
>>
>>Interesting. What manufacturing process suddenly changed or
>>improved??
>>
>>I've heard that mentioned several places, does anyone know the
>>source of that information?
>
>For my monthly magazine column, I checked that information with Ken
>Stewart, W3VVN, who wrote the Power Supplies chapter for the current
>ARRL Handbooks. Ken is a power supply designer for Grumman, and I asked
>him to expand on the relatively few words in the Handbook
....snip...
 IMO, adding more words is not always better, Ian--unless one is getting
paid by the word!   Adding to Ken Stewart's well-worded statement on page
11.9 in the ARRL Handbook hardly seems like gilding a lily.   The
bottom-line is that rectifier "equalizer" resistors can CAUSE reverse
breakdown.

The puzzler is why did Mark Wilson and David Sumner publish 1200 words in
the 9/94 issue of *QST* which contradicts what Ken stated in the
Handbook?

  Tom Rauch was right about old habits being slow to die.

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K