[AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Experience with K2AW rectifiers anyone?
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Wed, 28 May 1997 23:52:47 EDT
On Thu, 29 May 1997 00:34:11 +0100 Ron Hooper <ab4ru@stc.net> writes:
>km1h@juno.com wrote:

SNIPS

. I really didnt know I was running Microwave Oven
>diode blocks in my amp. Can someone verify that the K2AW blocks were
>made for Microve ovens? If so why dont they build up the strings of
>diodes and save the money if its the way to go. I must admitt I never
>seen nothing but blocks used in the ovens. WHy??

Three reasons Ron...CHEAP CHEAP and CHEAP   It is far easier for some
Asian assembly company to throw in one part instead of wiring in a bunch.
Microwave ovens are built at a few more at a time than the typical ham
amplifier run of   50 pieces.
What is left out there in the ham field doesnt even come close to an old
Heathkit production run!

Those diode blocks work fine in their intented use. I just have a bit of
a problem spending $15 for something I can build a lot better for under
$4. (assuming the full 14KV rating.....which no one needs anyway).  Run
the numbers people and try and tell me you need 14KV PIV in EACH leg of a
FWB supply.

I actually believe that too many hams just do/did not realize the price
and availability of the 1N5408 and even better diodes. They have instead
stopped at the 1N4007 and are following 20+ year old articles as current
gospel.

73....Carl    KM1H