[AMPS] Diodes

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Diodes
From: hblair@spdhw.dsccc.com (Herb Blair)
Date: Wed, 28 May 97 16:07:12 CDT
Just a note about High Voltage Diodes and Diode Assemblies.
I was in the business of building High Voltage Diode assemblies
for Lasers and XRAY power suppiles for about 5 years.
First, the best diodes that I found were Phillips.  They are
far better than the TAIWAN diodes, aka Diodes Inc, General Instrument,
etc.
Second, is assemblies.  I built assemblies up to 40KV or so and
potted them.  Never had a failure, if the diodes were good to start with.
There is a trade secret to potting the diodes and keep the
epoxy from pulling them appart.  K2AW has excellent assemblies.

Third is capacitance across diode assembles.  It is not needed
as the capacitance of the epoxy is distribuited along a string.

Herb WA5YKO
www.dxer.org