[AMPS] 3-600z on the way

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-600z on the way
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Thu, 5 Jun 97 15:08:50 -0700
>At 01:35 PM 6/5/97 -0700, you wrote:
>>

>>>6/3/97
>>>Skip May, wv6f
>>>Skip, yes, Svetlana will introduce a 3-600Z early next year.  It will have
>>>more pizas than the 3-500Z but will also be plug compatible.
>----
>does anyone care to venture an opinion as to whether these tubes will be
>compatible,  with no modifications, with amplifiers using 3-500Z's such as
>the 220, the L-4 series and the 922?
The Mu of the Svetlana tube is higher than the SB-220's original Eimac
tube.  I would expect that the SB-220's  zener will need to shorted to
increase the ZSAC to the needed minimum of 75 mA per anode for linear
operation.  A similar situation should occur in the TL-922.  However, in
the L-4, there is no zener to short out, so there may be a problem.  In
any event, it should not matter if 600w dissipation tubes are used.  500w
of dissipation is more than enough for operation at 4kV at 400mA.
Another 100w of anode dissipation capability will change nothing.
  Consider that additional cooling air is going to be needed to realize
100w extra dissipation--except perhaps in the SB-220, which has an
over-supply of cooling air.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K