[AMPS] 3-600z on the way

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-600z on the way
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Sat, 7 Jun 1997 00:14:17 +0000
Carl Wrote:

> The graphite tube conducts less heat away from the cooler and thru the
> glass at any given instant Rich compared to Tantalum....correct me if I
> am wrong.

Heat energy is the same in steady operation. The graphite is slower
to heat, but gets just as hot.

The Graphite retains the heat and very slowly releases it thru
> the glass.
> That is why I always recommend a 2-3 minute cool-down when Graphite tubes
> are used; particularly in amps with a transverse air flow.

That is exactly correct. The graphite anode can soak up heat,
and release it after the airflow is removed.

All glass internal anode tubes do this, but the thick graphite
anode is the worse of the lot by far.

73, Tom W8JI