[AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] PA Recommendation Wanted
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Sun, 8 Jun 1997 11:53:40 +0100
Rich Measures wrote:

>  My strategy, Ian, is to choose a value of grid termination resistance
>that roughly affords the needed peak RF drive V to the grid with exciters
>that develop 100v-p (100w rms) to 141v-p (200w rms) across 50 ohms.

OK, that makes sense, but until now I don't recall you mentioning the
need for a range of input transformer ratios to bring everything into
roughly the right ball-park.

>>>Eimac says you don't need a regulated bias supply..
>>
>>Rich, please can you quote exactly what Eimac says on this topic, and
>>where.
>
>Eimac does not state such in so many words.

Ah...

>The max. allowable R of the
>supply is found in the technical specifications for each tube.  For
>example,  on  page 4, column 1. of the specs. for the 4CX15,000A, the
>maximum R is stated to be 100k ohms.  In your opinion, Ian, is a
>regulated supply, or an unregulated supply, most likely to have an output
>R of 100k?

I do not interpret that as a recommendation to deliberately choose a
poorly regulated  grid supply. IMO it's merely a recommendation not to
allow the grid to "float" and charge up electrostatically. All it means
is that you cannot use a high-value grid resistor for "contact-
potential" biasing, as you can with small receiving tubes.

>>Similarly, please can you quote what and where Eimac says that the
>>correct method to configure a class AB1 amplifier is to adjust the grid
>>bias for zero grid current,
>
>You've got to be putting me on, Ian.  AB1 means zero grid current. .

Yes, but there's another way to achieve that, namely to adjust the
drive, either manually or by ALC.

>>and the adjust the screen current for the
>>recommended ZSAC.
>
>I thought I read it in *Care and Feeding....*.  After spending about 15
>minutes therein, I couldn't find it.

Nor could I.

>  However, the practice makes sense
>to me.  To explain:  There are two means of setting ZSAC: by adjusting
>grid V, and by adjusting screen V.  Grid V adjustment is constrained by
>the requirement that zero grid current be maintained---which leaves
>choosing to adjust the screen V.  Does this make sense to you?

As the Scots say, "I hear you" - which means that I appreciate what
you're saying, but don't agree that it's the only "right" way to do it.