[AMPS] Grid capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Grid capacitors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 11 Jul 97 17:40:36 -0700
>Rich Measures wrote:
>>Funny thing that the alleged Rauchian gas disappears by the time that the
>>kaput tubes are removed from the amplifier and tested with a
>>high-potential tester.
>
>Removal of gas can occur by several physical and chemical 'scavenging'
>processes that may take place on timescales of seconds to hours.
>A sudden, small  release of gas could cause an arc because the
>scavenging process is too slow; but after several hours/days it's quite
>feasible that the gas would have gone.

Here's what happened as I understand it:  The amplifier had been
apparently working normally.  The tubes were virtually new.  The
amplifier made a big-bang.   The anode current would not bias off.  There
was no more RF output.  The input SWR increased.  The amplifier was
switched off and the tubes were removed.  One tube was grid/filament
shorted.  The other tube had reduced grid/filament V withstanding ability
(50uA @700v).  Normal is about 2uA at 8000v.  Both of the vacuums checked
good.  IMO, the damage was the result of an intermittent push-push VHF
parasitic oscillation.
- Ian:  Please explain how both of these tubes scavanged gas when they
were not being operated.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K