[AMPS] Grid capacitors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Grid capacitors
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sat, 12 Jul 97 23:45:30 -0700
>Rich Measures wrote:
>>>Rich Measures
>>>asked:

>>>The scavenging process is a chemical reaction. It doesn't need electric
>>>power.
>>>
>>Let's see if I have this straight, Ian.  Both 3-500Zs suddenly developed
>>gas at the same instant---whereupon the filament helices bent sideways,
>>which caused a (grid/filament) short and a near short.  However, the
>>(Rauchian) gas that allegedly caused the grid/filament short was rather
>>excellently scavenged, whilst the tubes were cold no less, before they
>>could be tested on a hi-pot.  Hmmmm.
>
>Fair point! Thank you.

thanks

>Back to the original question, then: exactly what produced the
>mechanical force that made the filaments move?

This is still somewhat puzzling to me Ian.   The peak grid current during
the 110MHz oscillation is sufficient to melt the copper wire in the grid
RFC.  . According to the fusing current ratings of copper wire, the
current (and the resulting electromagnetic force) must be substantial.
The tungsten wire is fairly hot.  Apparently, the electromagnetic force
is strong enough to bend the hot wire.

>(BTW, Rich, this "Rauchian" word of yours is getting bloody irritating.
>It wins you no friends.)

During the parasitics debate, Mr. Rauch was the person who said that such
gas was intermittent,  auto-disappeared, and therefore could not
subsequently be detected with a high-potential tester.  Intermittent,
disappearing gas inside the envelope of a power grid electron tube is
therefore Rauchian gas.  However,  none of the gassy tubes I have in my
collection has become less gassy, so I am somewhat skeptical, Ian.

-  RE:  irritation:  I am not here to win friends.

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K