[AMPS] 3CX2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3CX2500
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Sun, 20 Jul 97 04:48:42 -0700
>Me and my mates at the LA8G club stn have got our hands on a brand new
>3CX2500 F3 / 8251.

This is a medium Mu triode.  It is intended for (non-linear) Class C
service.  In Class AB1 grid-driven linear service, the available power
output would be small indeed because not much peak anode current is drawn
with 0v on the grid.  In Class AB2 cathode-driven linear service, due to
lack of Mu, considerable RF driving voltage/power is needed at the
cathode.  IMO, it would take roughly 1000w to fairly drive a 3CX2500F3 in
cathode-driven service.

>Our intention is to build a rugged 2kW output amp for HF contesting,
>particularly the lowbands are interesting.
>
>As this tube have HV supply max ratings 6kV/2.5A, our wishes should be
>possible to achieve..!

Agreed, provided you can come up with the drive.

IMO, a Svetlana 8171 tetrode would be a better choice, Johnny.  The 8171
is Much easier to cool.  The drive requirement is 150w.  The realizable
gain is roughly 10db in Class A and 20db in Class AB1.  To switch between
Class A and Class AB1, one merely adjusts the microphone gain control.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K