[AMPS] 3CX2500

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3CX2500
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 97 20:20:09 -0700

>rich wrote (>), and i offer my unsolicited thoughts, (for what
>they're worth)
>
>> At 6kV, for a ZSAC of 0.5A per anode, the grid bias requirement for a
>> 3CX2500F3 (Mu=22) is roughly -220V.  If the -220V bias supply is
>> connected between the filament transformer CT (cathode) and
>> chassis-ground, the grid flange can be directly grounded.
>
>the thing i don't like about this sort of scheme is that the formerly
>wimpy (grid) bias supply now must  become a pretty big power supply
>which will handle the full cathode current.

-   Only grid current flows between the grounded-grid and the ungrounded
cathode.
...snip...
>and my comments are meant to apply to legal - limit amplifiers for
>the amateur bands.  others are apparently building amps for other
>applications.

The U.S. limit is currently1500W pep.  Other countries represented here
have different limits.  The U.S. limit is not a law.  It is an arbitrary
rule set by the FCC.  IMO, the FCC could not care less how much power
amateur radio operators use---provided that they do not cause
interference.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K