[AMPS] re:4-250A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re:4-250A
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 21 Jul 97 20:19:59 -0700

>re the ongoing debate,
>
>> >Whenever grid current
>> >flows in a grid driven amplifier, linearity is compromised.
>>
>> Rich, you keep saying that in such sweeping, all-inclusive terms.
>> You may believe it most sincerely, but that still doesn't make it true.
>
>my unsolicited $0.02 worth is... there are tubes where even a teensy
>bit of grid current will result in compromised linearity.  there are
>tubes where a fair amount of grid current can be drawn, with no
>compromise.

Name a tube where a fair amount of grid current can be drawn in
common-cathode configuration with no compromise in linearity, George.

> it ain't grid current that's the defining
>characteristic!  it's the linearity!  the "transfer characteristic"
>should be a straight line.  if it bends, then it ain't linear.

Agreed.  With grid current, the line bends.

>with many modern tetrodes, even those with handles, there is a serious
>bend that occurs just about at 0 volts on the grid.

For an 8171/4cx10000D, the transfer characteristics don't really get the
bends until the grid voltage reaches roughly +15v.

>...snip...  if the 3d and
>higher order products are legal, then maybe it's not so bad.

The legal limit on splatter inside a ham band is essentially that the
splatter can not extend outside the ham band.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K