[AMPS] re:4-250A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re:4-250A
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 22 Jul 97 05:37:06 -0700
To: <amps@contesting.com>
>> Date:          Tue, 22 Jul 97 03:19:59 +0000
>
>> > it ain't grid current that's the defining
>> >characteristic!  it's the linearity!  the "transfer characteristic"
>> >should be a straight line.  if it bends, then it ain't linear.
>>
>> Agreed.  With grid current, the line bends.
>
>No, that is not true.  ...
...snip...
> I've seen many PA's get cleaner as grid current appears.

You also said you had seen dozens of Class AB1 grid-driven triode RF
linear amplifiers, and you still have not named even one of the tubes
that was allegedly used, Mr. Rauch.

>An 8877, drawing grid current, can easily be in the mid forty to
>fifty dB down IMD range, ... ... ...snip...

This WAS a discussion about grid current in grid-driven linear
amplifiers.  The 8877 is not practicable in grid-driven linear amplifier
service.  Apples are not oranges.

>Saying grid current always produces more IMD is a good example of
>distortion......... a distortion of fact.

I agree that this statement is a distortion of fact, Mr. Rauch.
-  In a cathode-driven (Class AB2 G-G) config., grid current is essential
in order to be able to utilize the full emissive capability of the
cathode.  However, in a grid-driven config., more grid current results in
more non-linearity.  If this were not the case, we would see many tubes
rated for Class AB2 grid-driven linear amplifier service.

-  How many tubes does Eimac rate for Class AB2 grid-driven linear
amplifier service?
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K