[AMPS] re:4-250A

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] re:4-250A
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 97 19:00:22 -0700

>>> Part 97 is not the law of the land.  Part 97 is a set of arbitrary rules
>>> that were established by the FCC.  IMO, the amateur radio rules were
>>> written vaguely to make enforcement as easy as possible for the FCC.
>>
>>These two postings create a paradox.  In view of the `fact' that Part
>>97 is not the law, how does one learn where the band edges actually
>>are in order to keep the splatter contained within them :-)

The edges of amateur radio bands are established by international treaty.
 Amateur radio sub-bands are established by bureaucracies such as the
FCC.  Are the current FCC sub-bands reasonable?  I have heard many times
when 3.8 to 4 MHz was crowded with SSB and AM signals, while 3.5 to 3.7
MHz was virtually vacant.  IMO, it's time for the American Radio Relay
League and the FCC to butt out and let US decide how to best utilize the
amateur radio bands--as happens to be the case on the 160m band.  .

>I'm confused, too.  "Legal" requires a "law" defining what is legal.
>If Part 97 isn't that law, what is??  %(

Laws are made by your legally-elected representatives.  Rules are made by
bureaucrats.  That's why the name is Part 97 Rules.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K