[AMPS] Re: 8877

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: 8877
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 97 21:42:03 -0700

>On Wed, 23 Jul 97 19:15:00 -0700 Rich Measures <measures@vc.net> writes:
...snip...

>I built quite a few one and two 4-1000A amps in AB2 that were quite
>clean. The key was regulated bias and screen supplies.

How much screen V?  How much grid current?  How did you regulate the grid
bias V?
 -  Did you measure the IMD yourself, or did you accept on the air
reports?

>...... What
>would the distortion difference be between AB1 and AB2?   I do not know.
>
>73....Carl  KM1H

It depends on how much grid current you run.  For example, with 1000V on
the screen, 7kV on the anode, and 0mA of grid current (Class AB1), the
4-1000A/8166 is fairly linear.  If the grid current were increased to
0.05mA, technically speaking the amplifier would be running in Class
AB2---and it would still be fairly linear.  However, if the grid current
was 5mA, IMO, there would be a substantive decrease in linearity. ... ...
Eimac does not list the 8166 for Class AB2 linear service.
Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K