[AMPS] Amps in Sept QST

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amps in Sept QST
From: rhill@htonline.com (rhill)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 00:52:15 -0400
w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net wrote:

> I don't have my copy of QST. What was the failure of all three amps?
> Does anyone know? So far as I heard, the AL-800 never failed but did
> lose some IMD performance from an earlier test when it was new, but
> not enough to get unacceptable.

I can say that my 91b never failed either, at least since I purchased it
back in May.  Quite and fun to use.  AS for the QST article: "During a
contest, it suffered a component failure in the screen supply.
Otherwise, we found the 91b to be a real workhourse that will just chug
along at 1500 W output for hours on end (one tester called it the
'Energizer amplifier')"  For the QRO "During ARRl Lab testing, our
HF-2500DX initially failed to meet spectral purity requirements. .
.problem centered on the 4:1 output transformer that had been used in
the tank circuit"  The AL-800 "Late in our review process, we discovered
that our AL-800H had developed a problem that caused intermodulation
distortion (IMD)" (Sept 1997 QST p. 74-75.

Bob n8wfl