[AMPS] Amps in Sept QST

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amps in Sept QST
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Wed, 27 Aug 1997 10:17:53 +0000
Hi Carl,

> Tnx for reminding me about that little ARRL anamoly.
> The 4CX250 runs anywhere from 25 to 28 3rd depending on what spec sheet
> you read and was not necessarily best case.

I wish the ARRL would go back to the same standard the rest of the
world uses.

> The wording in QST was: "Late in our review process, we discovered that
> our AL-800H had developed a problem that caused IMD products that did not
> seem reasonable for an amplifier of this design".  That is all they said
> about it. Damaged toroid maybe?

In a phone conversation, they said IMD deteriorated to the 30 odd dB
range. They measured IMD on 14 MHz, and on that band there are no
toroids in the system.

IF I ever get the amp back I'll let you know what caused the problem,
it could be anything from a poor solder joint to a bad tube.

> QRO also had spectral purity problems that were attributed to the 4:1
> output toroid.

Are you sure? Why does a HF PA have a 4:1 transformer in the tank?
That seems non-conventional.

73, Tom W8JI