[AMPS] SB-220 failure

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-220 failure
From: measures@vc.net (Rich Measures)
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 97 20:43:20 -0800
>>>Replace the bad tube and repair the damage. Anything you do to the
>>>suppressor won't make a bit of difference, except add  $29.95
>>>to the California economy. :-)
>>>
>>The price of the suppressor retrofit kit is $14.50.  So, doing things to
>>the suppressor won't make a bit of difference?
>
>Rich:
>
>Let's face it.  Selling suppressor kits at $14.50 in a very limited
>market-demand environment isn't going to make anyone wealthy.

I don't do it for the money, Paul, because I am already Rich.

>A few years ago you were railroaded by a "lynch-mob," some of whom couldn't
>stand that the theory to which their amplifiers rested was either faulty or
>weak.

OTOH, the statement from one of the wannabe lynchers, uncleverly
declaring himself to be one of our recognized experts in the amplifier
community, really made my day.   I was also amused by the statement about
VHF current not flowing in a 'coil' because inductive reactance increases
with frequency.

>Nevertheless, there was no reason for any of them to feel shame for
>their previous work or for their (mis-)understanding of amplifiers.
>Instead, they perceived that you were telling them their kid was "ugly."

The insides of a gold-sputtered 8877 are ugly, Paul.

>I've always wanted to know: What do (did) any of the "contributors" know
>that Eimac's engineers don't who work in state-of-the-art laboratories with
>their very own vacuum tubes on a daily basis?

Beats me. .  .  In February of 1986, a conversation with an employee at
Eimac convinced me that an VHF or UHF oscillation condition caused fatal
gold-sputtering damage to a pair of 8875s that I sent in for evaluation.
I asked him if there were any Eimac Engineering Bulletins about improving
VHF/UHF stability.  He said there were not, and essentially that such
matters were the responsibility of amplifier designers, not tube
designers.

-  As I recall, Lou Pasteur angered some doctors when he said that it
might be a good idea for surgeons to wash their hands before cutting.

Rich---

R. L. Measures, 805-386-3734, AG6K