[AMPS] Re: Dentron GLA-1000 B linear

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Re: Dentron GLA-1000 B linear
From: rfp@rfparts.com (Merit)
Date: Wed, 03 Sep 1997 14:52:25 -0700
Just a general observations on the EL509 in replacing 6LQ6:
We have played around with various manufacturers of this tube.
The tube is quite a bit larger in size.
The Russian made tube is the most rugged (vs. Yugo, etc.)
I think it was used as a voltage regulator in USSR tank transmitters.
The original Russian tube number is not EL509, but this number
has been applied for the "TV Sweep" applications, i.e. linear amps.

You can expect about half the drive requirement to achieve same output.
You can also expect lots of p.e.p.  The EL509 is 40W dissipation.
However, this tube is easy to kill with excessive drive.
Be sure to improve cooling, bias mods, etc.
It will plug into most 6LQ6 sockets if you enlarge socket holes a bit
(dental tool).

Regards,   Merit  W6NQ (W6NLO)