[AMPS] Silver plating

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Silver plating
From: w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net (w8jitom@postoffice.worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu, 4 Sep 1997 07:36:23 +0000
To: <amps@contesting.com>
> Date:          Thu, 4 Sep 97 03:44:06 +0000

> Interesting.  Have you ever measured the effect of corrosion on Q?
> Silver oxide vs copper oxide vs tin oxide?  Might be useful to know.

Hi Bill,

I'm making a new 80 meter loading coil for my mobile out of #8 tinned
wire, so I'll record the Q and let the thing sit outside for a month.
I'll re-measure the Q.

I measured a Johnson edge wound that was silver plated and has sat
outside at the base of my tower for two years, and it is nearly
identical to one that is all shiney and new.

The silver holds up OK outside, the question is does tinned wire?

73, Tom W8JI